Sunday, August 28, 2011

Turning over tables.

I was listening to 'Jealous Kind' by Jars of Clay on my way back after work a couple of days back. It is a beautiful song. On our unfaithfulness and His abounding grace. I should have listened to the song some 70 times before but that evening those lines pounded hard at the gates of the heart.

"While you're turning over tables with a rage of jealous kind"

Yeah, it is a reference to the cleaning of the temple in Mark. 

Mark 11: 15 - 17
15 So they came to Jerusalem. Then Jesus went into the temple and began to drive out those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.
16 And He would not allow anyone to carry wares through the temple.
17 Then He taught, saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’”

He was walking through Jerusalem and He saw they had made a mess of the temple. His temple.
He didn't ignore it and walk past.
He didn't stand teary eyed, looking at it from outside wishing the temple walls would cry out for a cleaning.
He just went inside, walked right through and overturned tables.



Am I not your temple, Lord?
Did we not agree on making my heart your sanctuary that day I finally opened up in response to your knocks?
Well, now, we both know I have made it a den of thieves, Lord. A den of filthy thoughts, dead faith, arrogance, lies and idolatry. 
But Lord, You are the same forever, right? Yesterday - Today- Tomorrow- To eternity  the same, right? So, why don't you just please walk in and turn over the tables? I can't do it on my own, Lord. I don't have the strength to. 
But You can. You did it 2000 years ago... I hope you do it today. Hope you do it now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you